[R-sig-Debian] Debian/Ubuntu packages of a recent version of ess?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jun 13 22:38:32 CEST 2008

On 13 June 2008 at 15:09, Douglas Bates wrote:
| Is there a repository from which I can install a recent version of ess
| as a Debian/Ubuntu package for amd_64?  On the Ubuntu list of packages
| the released version of ess for hardy is 5.3.0-1 which seems, well,

But you do know that Ubuntu has semi-annual releases and freezes so ..
| ancient.  I see that there is a 5.3.8 version from the SVN sources for
| intrepid but IIRC trying to install that bring you into all the fun
| with pinning, etc.

... the correct thing to do is to check at Debian.  Eg at the PTS at

	http://packages.qa.debian.org/e/ess.html

or directly in the pool at

	http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/ess/

which has

        http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/e/ess/ess_5.3.8~svn3902-1_all.deb

dates May 23. These packages are now group-maintained (which a list at ETH
Zuerich) and we'd be delighted if you as an old S-mode hand cared to join the
team.

| It seems there is a binary debian package in the download site for the
| ess sources but that is for the i386 architecture and I think one
| would need to override the architecture to install that one.

The Debian package is Architecture: all, and installs without qualms on
Ubuntu. Using it at work on Ubuntu myself ....

| Would it be possible to add ess to the list of Debian/Ubuntu packages
| that are available on the CRAN archive?  I got the impression that it
| might already be but I don't see it there.

Many things are possibly if you volunteer to look after them. Otherwise you
need to be nice to Vincent who control the master directory from which CRAN
mirrors...

Cheers, Dirk