[R-sig-Debian] problems building and installing some packages in 'unstable'

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jan 27 17:21:50 CET 2008

On 27 January 2008 at 09:46, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I'm keeping a Debian unstable system, and recently found 2 problems:
|
| 1) building a package (R CMD build diveMove, available from CRAN)
| depending on KernSmooth fails with:
|
| ---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
| Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
|   unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/KernSmooth/libs/KernSmooth.so':
|   libRblas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
| ---<---------------cut here---------------end---------------->---
|
| Needless to say, the package built fine until about 2 weeks ago and no
| changes to the source have been made.
|
| 2) Installing a package (install.packages("tripEstimation")) requiring
| mgcv fails with a similar message:
|
| ---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
| Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
|   unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/mgcv/libs/mgcv.so':
|   libRblas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
| ---<---------------cut here---------------end---------------->---
|
| Interestingly, the shared libraries (KernSmooth.so and mgcv.so) do exist
| at the specified path.  However, libRblas.so is nowhere to be found.
|
| I've exchanged a few emails with Dirk Eddelbuettel, confirming that the
| missing libRblas.so is expected in AMD64.
|
| Are others following 'unstable' in AMD64 having the same problem?

For what it's worth, and given the brandnew sources on CRAN, I just updated
the Debian packages
	r-cran-vr		## VR
	r-cran-kernsmooth	## KernSmooth
	r-cran-sandwich		## sandwich
	r-cran-rodbc		## RODBC
in the 'pbuilder' chroot environment (ie a pristine Debian unstable setting
with no manual configuration whatsoever).  No issues.

So I have no idea where the desire to link with libRblas.so comes from, which
I why I suggested to Seb to ask here. If anybody, in particular amd64 users
of Debian unstable, has a clue, please share it with us.

Thanks, Dirk