[R-sig-Debian] problems building and installing some packages in 'unstable'

Sebastian P. Luque spluque at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 16:46:26 CET 2008

Hi,

I'm keeping a Debian unstable system, and recently found 2 problems:

1) building a package (R CMD build diveMove, available from CRAN)
depending on KernSmooth fails with:

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
  unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/KernSmooth/libs/KernSmooth.so':
  libRblas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
---<---------------cut here---------------end---------------->---

Needless to say, the package built fine until about 2 weeks ago and no
changes to the source have been made.

2) Installing a package (install.packages("tripEstimation")) requiring
mgcv fails with a similar message:

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
Error in dyn.load(file, ...) :
  unable to load shared library '/usr/lib/R/library/mgcv/libs/mgcv.so':
  libRblas.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Interestingly, the shared libraries (KernSmooth.so and mgcv.so) do exist
at the specified path.  However, libRblas.so is nowhere to be found.

I've exchanged a few emails with Dirk Eddelbuettel, confirming that the
missing libRblas.so is expected in AMD64.

Are others following 'unstable' in AMD64 having the same problem?

Cheers,

--
Seb