[R-sig-Debian] trouble installing building packages from source using R 2.6.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy AMD64

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Wed Oct 31 03:02:36 CET 2007

Le mar. 30 oct. à 11:26, Mark W Kimpel a écrit :

> I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu Gutsy and, for the first time, am
> using a 64-bit installation. After failing miserably to install R from
> source, not a problem for me in the past with a 32-bit install, I went
> the route of using the Debian Etch build. This went smoothly, but I am
> unable to update my numerous R and BioConductor packages, getting
> non-zero exit status errors on each package. Is there a repository of
> pre-built packages for Debian Etch 64 besides the r-base and
> r-recommended? If not, could someone suggest how I might get things
> working installing from source?

As Dirk mentioned, there aren't any binary packages of R for 64-bit
Ubuntu. If you look up the archives of the list, you'll see that this
subject has been discussed a few times already, but so far nobody has
volunteered to maintain packages.

I cannot help you to build from source any further than pointing to
the build scripts I use for the i386 packages. There you will see the
changes (referred to by Dirk) I make to the Debian source packages so
that they build on Ubuntu. See the Ubuntu README for details.

Vincent