[R-sig-Debian] trouble installing building packages from source using R 2.6.0 on Ubuntu Gutsy AMD64

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Tue Oct 30 16:52:19 CET 2007

Hi Mark,

Did you try what is written at the very end of the READMEs

	http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

and

	http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/debian/

i.e. install r-base-dev and then update the packages from within R?

Johannes

* Mark W Kimpel <mwkimpel at gmail.com> [071030 16:40]:
> I have recently upgraded to Ubuntu Gutsy and, for the first time, am
> using a 64-bit installation. After failing miserably to install R from
> source, not a problem for me in the past with a 32-bit install, I went
> the route of using the Debian Etch build. This went smoothly, but I am
> unable to update my numerous R and BioConductor packages, getting
> non-zero exit status errors on each package. Is there a repository of
> pre-built packages for Debian Etch 64 besides the r-base and
> r-recommended? If not, could someone suggest how I might get things
> working installing from source?
>
> I have installed the ia32 library, which did help me build VMWare, but
> did not help with R. Reading the R-admin manual, there are some
> suggested compiler flags, but I don't know how to enter them as I am a
> relative new-comer to Linux.
>
> Thanks so much,
> Mark
>
> ---
>
> Mark W. Kimpel MD  ** Neuroinformatics ** Dept. of Psychiatry
> Indiana University School of Medicine
>
> 15032 Hunter Court, Westfield, IN  46074
>
> (317) 490-5129 Work, & Mobile & VoiceMail
> (317) 663-0513 Home (no voice mail please)

Dr. Johannes Ranke                 jranke at uni-bremen.de     Key ID: F649AF90
UFT Bremen, Leobenerstr. 1         +49 421 218 63373
D-28359 Bremen                     http://www.uft.uni-bremen.de/chemie/ranke