[R-sig-Debian] R CMD javareconf in r-base-dev 2.6.0

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Thu Oct 4 08:30:57 CEST 2007

Hi Dirk,

* Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> [071003 23:50]:

> Hi Johannes,
>
> On 3 October 2007 at 22:23, Johannes Ranke wrote:
> | Hi Dirk, hi list,
> |
> | I just ran into a slight problem while building the recommended packages
> | for CRAN in a chroot environment against the fresh backport of your R
> | 2.6.0 packages. It seems that R CMD javareconf wants to change files in
>
> You are ahead of me, as this hook is to be used by rJava and CRAN packages
> using rJava.  I actually haven't used it yet, as I didn't get around to
> putting it in, and the testing it. So far only step 1 has been done :)

I wonder if it is necessary to run this command (if /usr/bin/java
exists) for every R package that is being built, regardless if it needs
java or not. I have no idea how many people are out there building debs
for R packages, and you'd probably argue that they better use pbuilder.

> [ The idea is to have the ability of building jar archvies using tools from
> Debian main.  Users can then switch to Sun's or IBM's Java (which the buildd
> cannot depend on for lack of freeness) and things still work, according to
> Simon who knows R and Java inside out. ]

This sounds very nice indeed.

> | /etc/R during the build, and since I am not building the packages as
> | root in my etch chroot, this fails, even if I am using fakeroot. My
>
> Hm, I am confused.  Do you build manually in the chroot?  Or do you use
> pbuilder?  I don't think my pbuilder has gij and hence /usr/bin/java.  But
> then you are rebuilding for testing so things ought to be different....

Yes, I am using my own script to build in a "stable" chroot without
pbuilder so far.

> | workaround was to simply remove gij-4.1 from the chroot, so
> | /usr/bin/java is not found any more.
>
> Sounds like exactly the right solution.  Hope it is not too much of a bother.

Not at all, I just thought it might be interesting for you to hear.

Johannes

--
Dr. Johannes Ranke                 jranke at uni-bremen.de     Key ID: F649AF90
UFT Bremen, Leobenerstr. 1         +49 421 218 63373