[R-sig-Debian] R 2.5.0 packages for Debian stable/etch

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Tue May 15 08:50:24 CEST 2007

Hi Ivailo, Dirk and Deepayan,

(copying in Deepayan Sarkar, the author of rcompgen)

* Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> [070515 00:00]:

> On 14 May 2007 at 21:42, Ivailo Stoyanov wrote:
> | Johannes Ranke <jranke <at> uni-bremen.de> writes:
> | >
> | > Dear list,
> | >
> | > R 2.5.0 packages for Debian stable (i386 and amd64) are now available
> | > from CRAN.
> | >
> | > The new recommended codetools and rcompgen packages haven't completely
> | > made it to Debian yet, but can of course be installed in the standard
> | > non-Debian ways.
> | >
> | > Please consult the README file in the Debian directory, and report
> | > problems to me directly or to this list.
> |
> | Dear Johannes,
> |
> | your first R-build (without codetools and rcompgen) uploaded at CRAN
> | worked just fine, and when I discovered that you have provided another
> | build including both above-mentioned packages, I have upgraded flawlessly.
> | However, I have noticed that rcompgen installed under
> | /usr/lib/R/site-library, unlike all the other recommended packages.
> |
> | Is this intended behaviour or a bug in the backport-packages?
>
> Can't speak for Johannes, but I recently altered debian/rules such that this
> location should be automatically determined based on whether or not
> also just be inconsistency at the CRAN end...

Yes, I didn't touch that mechanism. I just saw that this line is indeed
missing from the upstream DESCRIPTION file. I believe this is not on
purpose.

> | Otherwise everything works OK sofar, and (last but not least) I'd like to
> | thank you for providing the R backports to Debian R-users!
>
> Seconded!

Thanks a lot!

Hannes

> Dirk
>
> --
> Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
>                                                   -- Thomas A. Edison

Dr. Johannes Ranke                 jranke at uni-bremen.de     Key ID: F649AF90
UFT Bremen, Leobenerstr. 1         +49 421 218 63373
D-28359 Bremen                     http://www.uft.uni-bremen.de/chemie/ranke