[R-sig-Debian] getting the Debian pgp key

Johannes Ranke jranke at uni-bremen.de
Thu Mar 22 10:02:57 CET 2007

* Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> [070320 03:30]:

> On 19 March 2007 at 15:45, Anne York wrote:
> | I've tried to obtain the public key as described in the
> | README file in bin/linux/Debian on CRAN. The server
> | specified in the README times out. The mit public key
> | server responds that there is no such key.
>
> Based on the last messages by Johannes and Vincent, I would expect these
> files to be on all CRAN mirrors. Maybe you can just try a different one?

I am not sure if it makes sense to put the keys on the mirrors. If they
should be compromised, the keys could be compromised, too, so I would
think it's better to only provide them from an independent source as the
keyserver network.

As Vincent, I was just able to receive the keys with the given command
from the keyservers, no timeout. Could you please report, Anne, if the
server still times out and if you could solve your problem?

Of course, Vincent is right, you can also choose to trust the CRAN
servers and ignore the warning, that the key is not on your system.

Johannes

> Dirk
>
> --
> Hell, there are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something.
>                                                   -- Thomas A. Edison

Dr. Johannes Ranke                 jranke at uni-bremen.de     Key ID: F649AF90
UFT Bremen, Leobenerstr. 1         +49 421 218 8971
D-28359 Bremen                     http://www.uft.uni-bremen.de/chemie/ranke