[R-sig-Debian] [R] Installing R on Ubuntu 6.10 via apt-get

Vincent Goulet vincent.goulet at act.ulaval.ca
Fri Mar 9 17:54:39 CET 2007

[Redirected to r-sig-debian where this belongs]

Le Vendredi 9 Mars 2007 06:43, Antonio Olinto a écrit :
> Hi
>
> I'm using Linux Ubuntu 6.10 on a Pentium D 2.8.
>
> Well, following http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/README
>
> I wrote in the sources.list
>
> # R
> deb http://CRAN.R-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu edgy/
> deb http://www.vps.fmvz.usp.br/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu edgy/
>
> But after type "apt-get update" I got
>
> Falha ao baixar
> http://www.vps.fmvz.usp.br/CRAN/bin/linux/ubuntu/edgy/Release Unable to
> find expected entry Packages in Meta-index file (malformed Release file?)
> Falha ao baixar http://CRAN.R-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/edgy/Release
> Unable to find expected entry Packages in Meta-index file (malformed
> Release file?)
> W: Conflicting distribution: http://www.vps.fmvz.usp.br edgy/ Release
> (expected edgy but got )
> W: Conflicting distribution: http://CRAN.R-project.org edgy/ Release
> (expected edgy but got )
>
> (PS. Falha ao baixar = Fail to download)
>
> The key of Vincent Goulet seems to be OK.
>
> Am I doing something wrong or there's really a problem with the Release
> file?

Johannes,

Is this the kind of problem you were referring to in your Wednesday message?
Honestly, I did not understand the " I got error messages from apt due to the
very slim Release file produced when calling apt-ftparchive release without a
config file" part. Could you please explain in some more detail so I can fix
things.

Antonio: I'll keep you posted when the problem is fixed.

--
  Vincent Goulet, Associate Professor
  École d'actuariat