[R-sig-Debian] [R] Which Linux OS on Athlon amd64, to comfortably run R?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Dec 11 20:04:43 CET 2007

On 11 December 2007 at 11:24, Tony Plate wrote:
| I also initially compiled R from a source tarball under Ubuntu by adding
| Ubuntu packages by trial and error until ./configure completed without errors.
|
| After some helpful tips from Dirk Eddelbuettal, I tried the following on a
| new installation of Ubuntu:
|
| $ sudo apt-get build-dep r-base r-recommended
|
| which installs all the listed dependencies for r-base and r-recommended.
| That seemed to work well for finding the dependencies necessary to compile
| R. (And if this is wrong, it's my fault, not Dirk's.)
|
| Question: Is this the easiest recommended way to install all the
| dependencies necessary to build the latest version of R from sources under
| Ubuntu?

If you build the R _Debian_ package from source (which is not that hard, and
worth it for as 'lab' or lan installation), all dependencies are taken care of via
the Build-Depends field of debian/control.  We just discussed this in the
off-line thread started by Kevin's (and the also Roland's) offer to help with
amd64 packages.  As Johannes reminded us,
	$ sudo apt-get build-dep r-base
gets you all that installed.

Are you asking to build new R binaries for /usr/local, say from r-devel, or
this is a metaphysical question?    If you don't build any CRAN packages,
then r-recommended (ie its component packages boot, MASS, lattice, ...)
should not be needed.  Otherwise, there may be subtle issues as the separate
build of these packages is a Debian-ism that R Core doesn't officially
condones :)

Hth, Dirk