[R-sig-Debian] [R] Which Linux OS on Athlon amd64, to comfortably run R?

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Tue Dec 11 19:24:23 CET 2007

[moved from R-help]

Kevin Middleton wrote:
 >>> One oddity about Ubuntu is that there are no CRAN builds for 64bit.
 >> Volunteers would be welcomed with open arms.
 >>

 > I don't think I know enough to volunteer (but I am open to suggestion
 > off list), but I had no difficulty installing R from source on a 64
 > bit Ubuntu machine (7.10, with, I believe, 1 GB of RAM) following the
 > instructions in R-admin. I just kept installing necessary libraries
 > until ./configure completed without errors. Then make, make check,
 > and make install ran without a hitch.

I also initially compiled R from a source tarball under Ubuntu by adding
Ubuntu packages by trial and error until ./configure completed without errors.

After some helpful tips from Dirk Eddelbuettal, I tried the following on a
new installation of Ubuntu:

$ sudo apt-get build-dep r-base r-recommended

which installs all the listed dependencies for r-base and r-recommended.
That seemed to work well for finding the dependencies necessary to compile
R. (And if this is wrong, it's my fault, not Dirk's.)

Question: Is this the easiest recommended way to install all the
dependencies necessary to build the latest version of R from sources under
Ubuntu?

Other: possible sources of info:

(1) There are instructions in http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/
(and links from there) but those seem to be more directed at building R
packages than R itself.

(2) There are also some notes on the Wiki at
http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=getting-started:installation:debian#build_r
but those suggest installing specific Debian/Ubuntu packages, rather than
using the dependencies specified in the package descriptions.

(3) There is also a script in the message archived at
http://www.mail-archive.com/r-sig-debian@r-project.org/msg00215.html , but
I'm hoping the above single-line can accomplish what's needed to just build
R from sources.

-- Tony Plate