[R-sig-Debian] R 2.5.0 in Debian unstable

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Apr 24 17:08:02 CEST 2007

On 24 April 2007 at 09:37, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
| I'm on a testing (now lenny) distribution, and for a couple of weeks now,
| several packages are being held back (some major ones like locales and
| libc6).  I've been using the unstable R packages, but now some of these

Yes, etch was released with libc6 2.3.*, for which Debian apparently got
flack (but libc6 2.4 wouldn't build on all arches, so was a non-option).
With etch released, the new unstable ("lenny") jumped to libc6 2.5.

| can't be upddated because the newer locales and libc6 are not updated.
|
| This is the message I get when trying to update locales:

Fairly standard situation. Unstable is ahead of testing.

I actually installed the few packages by hand / by pinning: libc6, libc6-dev,
locales, tzdata, ... and ran it fine for a few days.  But for some reason --
mostly I think because I wanted my testing machine to remain more closely in
sync with my laptop -- I downgraded.

If you want R 2.5.0 on testing, you must install libc6 [ unless you wait for
our tireless volunteers Johannes and Vincent to build backports ]. This
should be just fine -- but in case your computer catches fire, don't sue me.

| The message is ominous, hence my answer.  Is this a matter of waiting
| until util-linux and tzdata use the new libc6?

That may take a while as libc6 is so central. I'd expect the backports to be
available within a few days, depending on how much time Johannes and Vincent
have / need.  You could of course help them to advance the cause (hint, ...)

Hope this helps, Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison