[R-sig-Debian] Poll: Does R_PAPERSIZE in /etc/R/Renviron matter?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Oct 24 15:55:07 CEST 2006

On 24 October 2006 at 08:18, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
| On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 15:36:02 -0500,
| Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
| > Does anybody use this, or is it ok if I simply disable this in Debian?
| > In that case we simply do what everybody else does, so you all get to
| > live by the 'letter' setting that comes from my compile-time choice.  It
| > is easy enough to override either in /etc/R/Renviron or in ~/.Renviron.
|
| I also have to use 'letter' here (but feel much like Gregor ;-) ), so
| hadn't noticed the change.
|
| I think it would be good to rely on paperconf, to keep the Debianness.

I know, I know, I also like to feel smug that we this so much better than
everybody else.

So maybe I will change the original

  ## Default printer paper size: first record if user set R_PAPERSIZE
  R_PAPERSIZE_USER=${R_PAPERSIZE}
  R_PAPERSIZE=${R_PAPERSIZE-'@R_PAPERSIZE@'}

to something where the right-hand side ${R_PAPERSIZE} gets replaced in
postinst by what paperconf finds.  I can't seem to find a way to have
/etc/R/Renviron do anything dynamically, i.e. even something like

R_PAPERSIZE:=$(shell paperconf)

fails.

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison