[R-sig-Debian] dependency errors upgrading to 2.2.1-0sarge1

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Mar 30 22:41:59 CEST 2006

Michael,

Let's start the other way around: what do you want to achieve?  What do you
want to avoid?

The basic premise is that

i) Debian stable at CRAN has only the base R package (ie all packages derived
   from the source r-base, ie r-base-core, r-base-dev, r-doc-*, r-mathlib...)
   as well as the r-recommended set (ie r-cran-vr with MASS, nnet, ...,
   r-cran-boot, r-cran-lattice, ...)  but strictly *no other* r-cran-*
   packages (beyond what r-recommended provides) --- so no r-cran-rcmdr,
   r-cran-car, ...

ii) Debian stable at Debian has a fair number of R and CRAN packages -- but
   they are frozen in time at last spring when Debian stable was released.
   That is a feature.

iii) Debian testing has a large number (~ 60) of R packages that are current,
   tested and working.  However, testing != stable and you indicated the last
   time around that your sysadmin persuaded you to go with stable.

You seem to desire the choice of testing, as well as the fact that these are
current packages rather than old ones, delived via the stable archive.  This
does not exist.  You could however recruit a few students to run the
backport of the missing packages .... or you could just use
install.packages() with suitable arguments

If you pick Debian stable (a fine choice, in particular for a server or a
machine that is not meant to change) you must realize that you are giving up
current packages by your choice.

Personally, I like testing for my workstation as a best of both worlds
compromise. Your mileage may vary.

I may have misunderstood what you're after. Apologies if that is the case.

Hope this helps,  Dirk

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison