[R-sig-Debian] Query about building R-2.3.1 for Ubuntu

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Jun 8 12:27:14 CEST 2006

On 8 June 2006 at 01:04, arin basu wrote:
| Is a distribution of R version 2.3.1 (the current version) available for
| the Ubuntu Linux?

Maybe a question for the Ubuntu lists ??

| If I want to build a .deb package for R-2.3.1 for Ubuntu,
| are there specific requirements that I should be aware of? Is a tutorial

Specific to R ? Why ?

| available? I searched the web, and the repositories, but oculd not locate an
| appropriate file.

My workstation at work is a relatively recent Ubuntu install. What I do there
is simply:

a)  add Debian unstable sources [ but not binaries ] to /etc/apt/sources.list
b)  run 'apt-get source foo' any $foo I want
c)  edit foo-*/debian/changelog to note that it is a local build
d)  dpkg-builpackage -rfakeroot -us -uc -tc
e)  install the locally-built package

Works well enough. Does anybody have anything slicker?

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison