[R-sig-Debian] Repository entry in sources.list

Christian T. Steigies cts at debian.org
Wed Jul 26 14:28:32 CEST 2006

On Wed, Jul 26, 2006 at 06:53:29AM -0500, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:

> Oscar,
>
> On 24 July 2006 at 15:44, oscar.moreno at att.net wrote:
> | I'd like to use APT to install the latest edition of R in my Ubuntu 6.06 OS.  What is the entry that goes in the sources.list file?  Please spell it to me as clearly as possible.  I'm going nuts trying to download and install with APT to no avail.  TIA Oscar
>
> [ As an aside: you posted without being subscribed which means that I had to
> hand-approve your post. I am unlikely to do that reliably (as it gives the
> wrong incentives) so please consider subscribing before you post again. ]
>
> All relevant URLs should be in the R FAQ. Thanks to the unfatigiable
> Christian, we now have 'backports' of the current R to both Debian stable and
> Ubunto 6.06.

I guess the FAQ has not been updated for Ubuntu yet... you should be able to
use the debian packages, but maybe the ubuntu packages are better suited,
thats why I built them. Am I spoiling the users when I cite the FAQ?

I have no idea which is the closest CRAN mirror to you, so I picked one
semi-randomly:

http://cran.stat.ucla.edu/doc/FAQ/R-FAQ.html#Are-there-Unix-binaries-for-R_003f

It tells you to add this to sources.list:
deb http://cran.R-project.org/bin/linux/debian stable/

For ubuntu, replace debian by ubuntu and stable by dapper and it should
work. BTW on my etch systems I now have sources.list.d directories, so we
could also provide the correct entry (adjusted for the mirror?) in one file
which users would just have to drop into that directory to make it work.

Disclaimer: I do not use ubuntu, so I have no idea if it actually works. And
no, there are no AMD64 binaries (yet). I haven't heard of anybody running a
desktop OS on a server, is there demand for AMD64 binaries for Ubuntu?

Christian