[R-sig-Debian] updating rgl on debian stable

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Dec 12 21:59:13 CET 2006

On 12 December 2006 at 09:31, Michael Friendly wrote:
| Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
|
| >On 11 December 2006 at 17:20, Michael Friendly wrote:
| >| Running: R Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01), debian stable
| >|
| >| I'm testing an application that uses rgl (installed with apt-get install
| >| r-cran-rgl)
| >| but fails, at least partly because that application uses a more current
| >| version.
| >| There is also a mysterious error msg from Xlib:

| >| Is this what I need?
| >| euclid:/tmp# aptitude search xfree86-dri
| >| p   xfree86-driver-synaptics        - dummy package to upgrade to X.Org
| >| new modu
| >| euclid:/tmp#
| >
| >Most likely, you need more. Fortunately, this is easy.  Use apt-get and say
| >
| >	$ apt-get build-dep r-cran-rgl
| >
| >which should install the missing the pieces (x11 headers and all that).
| >
| >Hth, Dirk
| >

| Hmm,  perhaps there is a problem with the package?

No, but what may be the case that you are overlooking that

i)   the 'old' package with its depends builds fine on stable, ie on the
     matching system

ii)  the 'current' package builds fine on testing/unstable

iii) you are trying to 'port' the new package to the old system

So you need to account for changes in Debian's (and the other distros, for
that matter) switch from XFree86 to X.Org, so some packages got renamed.

One way to go about it is to use the build-depends of the _old_ package as
you try to build on the _old_ ("stable") system.

I can't tell what you show below which version of r-cran-rgl is driving
this.  I presume you look at the old one and can't find its Build-Depends: on
your stable system.

Hth, Dirk

| euclid:/tmp# man apt-get
| Reformatting apt-get(8), please wait...
| euclid:/tmp# apt-get build-dep r-cran-rgl
| Reading Package Lists... Done
| Building Dependency Tree... Done
| E: Build-dependencies for r-cran-rgl could not be satisfied.
|
| The dependencies don't give me a clue:
|
| euclid:/tmp# apt-cache depends r-cran-rgl
| r-cran-rgl
|   Depends: r-base-core
|  |Depends: libgl1-mesa-glx
|   Depends: <libgl1>
|     mesag3
|     mesag3+ggi
|     mesag3-glide2
|     libgl1-mesa-glide3
|     libgl1-mesa-glx
|     libgl1-mesa-swx11
|  |Depends: libglu1-mesa
|   Depends: <libglu1>
|     libglu1-mesa
|   Depends: libpng12-0
| euclid:/tmp# apt-cache rdepends r-cran-rgl
| r-cran-rgl
| Reverse Depends:
|   r-cran-rcmdr
|   r-cran-misc3d
|   r-cran-rcmdr
| euclid:/tmp#
|

| --
| Michael Friendly     Email: friendly at yorku.ca
| Professor, Psychology Dept.
| York University      Voice: 416 736-5115 x66249 Fax: 416 736-5814
| 4700 Keele Street    http://www.math.yorku.ca/SCS/friendly.html
| Toronto, ONT  M3J 1P3 CANADA

                                                  -- Thomas A. Edison