[R-sig-Debian] updating rgl on debian stable

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Dec 11 23:45:27 CET 2006

On 12/11/2006 5:20 PM, Michael Friendly wrote:
> Running: R Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01), debian stable
>
> I'm testing an application that uses rgl (installed with apt-get install
> r-cran-rgl)
> but fails, at least partly because that application uses a more current
> version.
> There is also a mysterious error msg from Xlib:
>
>  > library(car)
>  > library(rgl)
>  > iris.mod <- lm(cbind(Sepal.Length, Sepal.Width, Petal.Length,
> Petal.Width) ~
> + Species, data=iris)
>  > source("heplot.R")
>  > source("heplot3d.R")
>  > source("pairs.mlm.R")
>  > heplot3d(iris.mod)
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
> Error in ellipsoid(gmean, E, radius, col = last(col), label = "Error") :
>         could not find function "asEuclidean"
>  >
>  > capabilities()
>     jpeg      png    tcltk      X11 http/ftp  sockets   libxml     fifo
>     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
>   cledit    iconv      NLS
>     TRUE     TRUE     TRUE
>  > sessionInfo()
> Version 2.3.1 (2006-06-01)
> i386-pc-linux-gnu
>
> attached base packages:
> [1] "methods"   "stats"     "graphics"  "grDevices" "utils"     "datasets"
> [7] "base"
>
> other attached packages:
>       rgl       car
> "0.64-13"   "1.2-0"
>
> If I run example(rgl) alone, things sort of work (I get the volcano data
> displayed),
> but I get the same Xlib: message:
>
>  > example(rgl)
> rgl> example(rgl.surface)
> rgl.sr> data(volcano)
> rgl.sr> rgl.clear()
> Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
>
> rgl.sr> rgl.surface(x, z, y, color = col)
>

> I obtained the most recent source package for rgl and tried to install it
> directly, but this fails.  Any idea what I can do?  How can I tell what X
> component is being looked for?
>
> euclid:/tmp# R CMD INSTALL rgl_0.69.tar.gz
> * Installing *source* package 'rgl' ...
> checking for gcc... gcc
> checking for suffix of executables...
> checking for X... no
> configure: error: X11 not found but required, configure aborted.
> ERROR: configuration failed for package 'rgl'
> ** Removing '/usr/local/lib/R/site-library/rgl'
>
> Is this what I need?
> euclid:/tmp# aptitude search xfree86-dri
> p   xfree86-driver-synaptics        - dummy package to upgrade to X.Org
> new modu
> euclid:/tmp#

Hi Michael.

I'm not very familiar with the rgl setup on *nix.  However, I can tell
you that the configure script was built by autoconf, and the test that
is failing is this one from configure.ac:

   AC_PATH_X
   if test x$no_x == xyes ; then
     AC_MSG_ERROR([X11 not found but required, configure aborted.])
   fi

Hopefully that means something to you, or to someone else on the list.

There is the usual option for you to supply your own path to X, via

X features:
   --x-includes=DIR    X include files are in DIR
   --x-libraries=DIR   X library files are in DIR

but I've no idea what would be appropriate for Debian, and I don't know
what the "XFree86-DRI" extension is about.

Duncan Murdoch