[R-sig-Debian] building from source after installing Debian packages

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz at cnio.es
Mon May 9 14:55:56 CEST 2005

Hi Dirk,

On Saturday 07 May 2005 03:43, Dirk Eddelbuettel wrote:
> On 6 May 2005 at 17:14, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> | (Apologies for double posting; I sent this to r-help and was suggested
> | that I ask here which I should probable have done to begin with).
> |
> | ***************
> | Dear All,
> |
> | I've got into the habit of installing R from the precompiled Debian
> | binaries, including many of the packages from the r-cran-* Debian
> | packages, and later building from source (e.g., to link against Goto's
> | BLAS, or to build patched versions, etc). I install the newly built R to
> | the very same place (/usr/lib/R). This allows me to build and update R
> | when I wish, AND provides the ease of quickly updating many packages.
> |
> | Things have always worked fine, but after a few funny problems (which
> | could be unrelated to the process itself) I've started wondering if this
> | is a rather silly thing to do, and if I should keep my own build separate
> | from the Debian stuff. Any advice would be much appreciated.

> I don't think there is a silver bullet. It's a touch problem as you're
> mixing two systems.

And I guess that potential problems might be hidden behind an "apparently
running OK" installation?

> We plan to (eventually) provide all CRAN packages as apt-get'able .deb
> packages. But I do not know how long it will take to get there. We have
> some code to build the packages, and the code needs volunteers to test,
> correct, extend, ... it.
>
> OTOH as you're building the packages anyway for yourself, possibly for

I think my message was poorly worded. Actually, I use the deb packages (and
only build those that do not exist as debs). That is the "advantage" of my
modus operandi: I can use all the pre-built Debian packages, while at the
same time using Goto's BLAS and using the patched R sources for R itself.

> several machines, it may make sense if you also start a 'community pool'
> into which we're uploading Debian packages?  It is /really/ easy to build
> Debian packages from CRAN sources, but some checking by actual users would
> surely improve the overall quality.
>
> Would that be interest?  Does anybody feel like prototyping this /
> experimenting with it?

Sure. What can I do? How do I do it? In case architecture matters, I can do
and test these sorts of things for Intel Xeons, AMD Opterons (debian-pure64
sid), and Intel Centrinos.

Best,

R.

--
Ramón Díaz-Uriarte
Bioinformatics Unit

http://ligarto.org/rdiaz
PGP KeyID: 0xE89B3462
(http://ligarto.org/rdiaz/0xE89B3462.asc)

**NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD** Este correo electrónico, y en su caso los ficheros adjuntos, pueden contener información protegida para el uso exclusivo de su destinatario. Se prohíbe la distribución, reproducción o cualquier otro tipo de transmisión por parte de otra persona que no sea el destinatario. Si usted recibe por error este correo, se ruega comunicarlo al remitente y borrar el mensaje recibido.
**CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE** This email communication and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information for the sole use of the designated recipient named above. Distribution, reproduction or any other use of this transmission by any party other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient please contact the sender and delete all copies.