[R-sig-DCM] What is a strong covariate in CBC/HB?

Michael Conklin michael.conklin at markettools.com
Thu Mar 3 16:56:01 CET 2011

Chris's point is that even though the covariate has a strong effect on utilities (which makes it a strong covariate), it matters not if it won't change any business decisions because it has no impact on share.  It is the difference between technical importance and practical importance. It's like statistical significance....given enough sample size two means can be statistically different but the difference can be of no practical importance (except for implying that you grossly overpaid for sample).

W. Michael Conklin
Chief Methodologist
Google Voice: (612) 56STATS

MarketTools, Inc. | www.markettools.com
6465 Wayzata Blvd | Suite 170 |  St. Louis Park, MN 55426.  PHONE: 952.417.4719 | CELL: 612.201.8978
This email and attachment(s) may contain confidential and/or proprietary information and is intended only for the intended addressee(s) or its authorized agent(s). Any disclosure, printing, copying or use of such information is strictly prohibited. If this email and/or attachment(s) were received in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete all copies