[R-sig-DCM] What is a strong covariate in CBC/HB?

Chris Chapman cnchapman at msn.com
Wed Mar 2 19:21:39 CET 2011

Agreed, although the form of the answer depends on the question.  My first
thought is to conceptualize it in terms of the business problem and outcome,
i.e., whether including the covariate changes the predicted outcome by a
"meaningful" amount in the context of the business question.

For instance, assume the business question involves predicting market share
from a CBC type study, and that we're comparing Product 1 vs. Product 2.
Suppose further that the baseline preference, without using covariates, is
estimated as 50/50.  If including covariates led to estimating preference as
51/49 (for group 1, and vice versa for group 2, in your problem), then I'd
say that is *not* a meaningful difference for most business contexts.  OTOH,
seeing the estimate move to 60/40 almost certainly would be meaningful.

One might specify this in terms of standard errors, etc., but IMHO the
bottom line is that "significance" depends on the importance of the observed
difference for the business problem, not on the number of SEs in themselves.