[R-sig-DCM] Inclusion of interaction without its main effect

Chris Chapman cnchapman at msn.com
Wed Feb 23 16:53:14 CET 2011

Of course it depends on the model ... but in general I'd say, "yes, if it
makes sense for your problem."  As Marcel showed below, an interaction term
could be considered to be simply a different variable.  It happens to be
highly collinear with some other variables, but that does not change its
status as a variable that is perfectly reasonable if used sensibly (which
means -- if it's constructed -- taking account of scaling issues,
heterogeneity of measurement error, etc.)

OTOH, *interpreting* an interaction term can be a problem.  There are cases
like Marcel's where it may be clearer than the (so-called) main effects, but
for my 0.02, interaction terms in DCM models  are often quite difficult to
conceptualize, explain, or act upon. So in practice I tend to avoid them
unless there is a good reason to think they're needed ("price:brand" is
perhaps a common one to consider).

-- chris