[R-sig-DB] RODBC: Set connection and command timeout values => how to request features? Source code repository available to contribute patches? [retry]

Enrico Schumann e@ @end|ng |rom enr|co@chum@nn@net
Thu Dec 1 08:31:55 CET 2016

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016, nospam using altfeld-im.de writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have some improvement suggestions and ideas,
> but I cannot find a public master repository on github, sourceforge or
> elsewhere that contains the current development branch of RODBC.
>
> How could I
> - file a feature request
> - contribute code?
>
> Thank you very much + best regards
>

> PS: My feature requests are:
> ----------------------------
>
> 1. Add a possibility to set the connection timeout in seconds
> 2. Add a possibility to set the statement (sql command) timeout in
> seconds
>
> I think many users of RODBC have already struggled with the too
> short default timeout values of e. g. 30 seconds which are
> problematic in case of long running queries e. g. in the
> data warehousing or reporting context.
>

> Implementation:
> ---------------
>
> The implementation should be quite straightforward (similar to
> "SEXP RODBCSetAutoCommit(SEXP chan, SEXP autoCommit)" function
> in the file "RODBC.c".
>
> To change the timeout values the ODBC API offers two functions:
>
> 1. SQLSetConnectAttr()
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms713605(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> Attribute to set SQL_ATTR_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT
>
> An SQLUINTEGER value corresponding to the number of seconds to wait for
> any request on the connection to complete before returning to the
> application. The driver should return SQLSTATE HYT00 (Timeout expired)
> anytime that it is possible to time out in a situation not associated
> with query execution or login.
>
> 2. SQLSetStmtAttr()
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms712631(v=vs.85).aspx
>
> Attribute to set: SQL_ATTR_QUERY_TIMEOUT (ODBC 1.0)
>
> An SQLULEN value corresponding to the number of seconds to wait for an
> SQL statement to execute before returning to the application. If
> ValuePtr is equal to 0 (default), there is no timeout.
> If the specified timeout exceeds the maximum timeout in the data source
> or is smaller than the minimum timeout, SQLSetStmtAttr substitutes that
> value and returns SQLSTATE 01S02 (Option value changed).
> Note that the application need not call SQLCloseCursor to reuse the
> statement if a SELECT statement timed out.
> The query timeout set in this statement attribute is valid in both
> synchronous and asynchronous modes.

Have you tried to contact the maintainer?

  > maintainer("RODBC")
  ## [1] "Brian Ripley <ripley using stats.ox.ac.uk>"

--
Enrico Schumann
Lucerne, Switzerland