[R-sig-DB] Add a "dbSendUpdate" function to DBI?

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom r-project@org
Fri Sep 5 03:05:45 CEST 2014

On Sep 4, 2014, at 10:54 AM, Hadley Wickham <hadley using rstudio.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 9:28 AM, Denis Mukhin <denis.x.mukhin using oracle.com> wrote:
>> In ROracle we standardized on the second approach, namely always return TRUE, otherwise throw an error.
>>
>> Also since UPDATE is not the only operation that does not return any results (although it might with a RETURNING clause) would a more generic name be more appropriate here? Besides DMLs there are also DDLs. Something like dbExecute(), dbSubmit(), dbSend() ...
>
> How about dbExecuteQuery() ?

I wouldn't call it "query" since that implies results... sort of the opposite of what it does.

FWIW the "update" in dbSendUpdate has nothing to do with the "UPDATE" SQL statement - the intention was to convey the notion that there is no result - at least in my mind "an update" is a push action where as "a query" is a pull-action. But I'll certainly yield to native English speakers here ;).

Cheers,
Simon