[R-sig-DB] unexplained error in response to 'copy' command

Edward Vanden Berghe evberghe @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Dec 1 15:20:26 CET 2013

Dear all,

I wanted to write the contents of a PostgreSQL table to a csv file; this is the code I used:

sql <- paste("set search_path to testschema; ",

                                "copy testtable to '/home/evberghe/testdirectory/testfile.csv' ",

                                "with (format csv, delimiter ',', header true, quote '\"');",

                                sep="")

dbSendQuery(con, s)

In R I get the response:

Error in postgresqlExecStatement(conn, statement, ...) :

  RS-DBI driver: (could not Retrieve the result : ERROR:  syntax error at or near "testtable"

LINE 1: testtable

        ^

)

The exact same sql statement runs fine if I run it from pgAdmin. Other SQL commands work fine, so no problem with the connection. I set the permissions to the directory for anyone to read and write from/to the destination directory. Any idea of what might cause the problem?

I am using R version 3.0.2 though StatET (but a plain vanilla R terminal gives the same result). SessionInfo() is

R version 3.0.2 (2013-09-25)

Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)

locale:

[1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8          LC_NUMERIC=C                  LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8

 [4] LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8        LC_MONETARY=en_US.UTF-8       LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8

 [7] LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8          LC_NAME=en_US.UTF-8           LC_ADDRESS=en_US.UTF-8

[10] LC_TELEPHONE=en_US.UTF-8      LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8    LC_IDENTIFICATION=en_US.UTF-8

attached base packages:

other attached packages:

[1] RPostgreSQL_0.4 DBI_0.2-7       rj_1.1.3-1

[1] rj.gd_1.1.3-1 tools_3.0.2

PostgreSQL is version 9.1.10; Ubuntu is 12.04.3

Edward