[R-sig-DB] New maintainer for DBI package

Hadley Wickham h@w|ckh@m @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Fri Oct 18 05:08:00 CEST 2013

Hi all,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I've taken over the
maintainership of the DBI package, and it has a new home at
https://github.com/rstats-db/dbi

I'll be using the mailing list as a venue to discuss some changes I'd
like to make to DBI. The goal is to make the minimal set of changes in
order to:

* add new generics currently defined by individual packages (e.g.
dbApply, dbBeginTransaction, dbSendPreparedQuery)

* rationalise escaping, moving from the current blacklist based
system, to one where every identifier is escaped automatically using
the rules of the host database

* start developing a common test suite that can be applied to any
package the implements the DBI package.

I'll start some discussions on these topics next week, but please also
feel free to comment on any of the smaller issues listed at
https://github.com/rstats-db/DBI/issues

Hadley

--
Chief Scientist, RStudio