[R-sig-DB] RMySQL and RPostgreSQL interaction

Sebastian P. Luque @p|uque @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 18 20:58:30 CEST 2012

On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 13:46:06 -0400,
Paul Gilbert <pgilbert902 using gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12-09-18 01:30 PM, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:40:26 -0400,
>> Paul Gilbert <pgilbert902 using gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I am doing some comparison for which I load both RMySQL and
>>> RPostgreSQL from my own packages TSMySQL and TSPostgreSQL and I am
>>> getting the following warning building a vignette. I think with
>>> package namespaces / S4 definitions it is a bit difficult to
>>> generate a self contained example, at least I have not yet managed
>>> to do that, but I would appreciate any suggestions about what needs
>>> to be done.

>>> RPostgreSQL Warning in .simpleDuplicateClass(def, prev) : A
>>> specification for class "dbObjectId" in package 'RPostgreSQL' seems
>>> equivalent to one from package 'RMySQL' and is not turning on
>>> duplicate class definitions for this class

>> I've seen this with a vignette using both the maptools and trip
>> packages, but it was just a warning and the vignette built just fine.

> Yes, it is just a warning, and the vignette builds fine. It also looks
> like there is probably a simple fix to remove the problem that causes
> the warning, since that is what the warning suggests. However, as
> Spencer pointed out, isolating a simple example is not so easy.

I had actually built such an example with those packages (available from
CRAN):

---<--------------------cut here---------------start------------------->---
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{Sweave}

\begin{document}

<<load-packages>>=
library(maptools)
library(trip)

@

\end{document}
---<--------------------cut here---------------end--------------------->---

which produces the warnings:

---<--------------------cut here---------------start------------------->---
    Warning in .simpleDuplicateClass(def, prev) :
     A specification for class “owin” in package ‘trip’ seems equivalent to one from package ‘maptools’ and is not turning on duplicate class definitions for this class
    Warning in .simpleDuplicateClass(def, prev) :
     A specification for class “ppp” in package ‘trip’ seems equivalent to one from package ‘maptools’ and is not turning on duplicate class definitions for this class
    Warning in .simpleDuplicateClass(def, prev) :
     A specification for class “psp” in package ‘trip’ seems equivalent to one from package ‘maptools’ and is not turning on duplicate class definitions for this class

Both packages have the same definitions for these classes.  A quick
search on this warning points to
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2011-July/061628.html, which
suggests that adding an importClassesFrom() directive in NAMESPACE and
removing the class definition from one of the packages, might solve
this.  A dependency may be needed though...

--
Seb