[R-sig-DB] RMySQL and RPostgreSQL interaction

Spencer Graves @pencer@gr@ve@ @end|ng |rom @tructuremon|tor|ng@com
Tue Sep 18 20:51:31 CEST 2012

On 9/18/2012 10:46 AM, Paul Gilbert wrote:
> On 12-09-18 01:30 PM, Sebastian P. Luque wrote:
>> On Tue, 18 Sep 2012 11:40:26 -0400,
>> Paul Gilbert <pgilbert902 using gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am doing some comparison for which I load both RMySQL and
>>> RPostgreSQL from my own packages TSMySQL and TSPostgreSQL and I am
>>> getting the following warning building a vignette. I think with
>>> package namespaces / S4 definitions it is a bit difficult to generate
>>> a self contained example, at least I have not yet managed to do that,
>>> but I would appreciate any suggestions about what needs to be done.

>>> RPostgreSQL Warning in .simpleDuplicateClass(def, prev) : A
>>> specification for class "dbObjectId" in package 'RPostgreSQL' seems
>>> equivalent to one from package 'RMySQL' and is not turning on
>>> duplicate class definitions for this class
>>
>> I've seen this with a vignette using both the maptools and trip
>> packages, but it was just a warning and the vignette built just fine.
>>
> Yes, it is just a warning, and the vignette builds fine. It also looks
> like there is probably a simple fix to remove the problem that causes
> the warning, since that is what the warning suggests. However, as
> Spencer pointed out, isolating a simple example is not so easy.

       CRAN policy, at least as of August 30, 2012, was to reject
packages that generate either Warnings or Notes.  Thus, "just a warning"
is a show-stopper if you plan to submit the package to CRAN.  There is
now a "CRAN" function in the development version of "fda" on R-Forge
that we use to reduce the test time with "R CMD check --as-cran".  There
was as thread on the R-Devel list, subject:  "if(--as-cran)?", which I
thought mentioned a similar function in a development version of  R.
Unfortunately, I can't find it now.

       Spencer