[R-sig-DB] Connect R to MySQL DB installed via XAMPP

julien cuisinier j_cu|@|n|er @end|ng |rom hotm@||@com
Mon Jun 25 16:12:54 CEST 2012

Hi List,

Just to update, I could find a zip online (I unfortunately lost the address & cannot find it anymore) RMySQL_0.8-0_for_MySQL_5.5.16.zip

which when installed locally under R allowed me to connect... not ideal but at leats it works for the time being.

Any feedback on my email / question is more than welcome

Thanks & regards,
Julien

From: j_cuisinier using hotmail.com
To: r-sig-db using r-project.org
Subject: FW: Connect R to MySQL DB installed via XAMPP
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2012 13:46:27 +0200

Hi List,

On windows XP & R2.15. Session info below.

I installed XAMPP on my machine - I can't install MYSQL on the C:\Program file dir because no admin rights, so I installed XAMPP onto a personal directory...which I guess makes things slightly harder, but I am hopeful I am not thhe first one struggling on this!

Any feedback  redirection / hints hugely appreciated

(1) I tried to install RMySQL which I used successsfully on Linux in the past but it seems to be a trouble on Windows, no binary available on CRAN (anymore?) & when trying the "type = 'source' " option I get the following:

> install.packages("RMySQL",type="source")
trying URL 'http://cran.ma.imperial.ac.uk/src/contrib/RMySQL_0.9-3.tar.gz'
Content type 'application/x-gzip' length 165363 bytes (161 Kb)
opened URL
downloaded 161 Kb

'\\UKLonHome.HDS.Int\Home$\julien.cuisinier'
CMD.EXE was started with the above path as the current directory.
UNC paths are not supported.  Defaulting to Windows directory.
* installing *source* package 'RMySQL' ...
** package 'RMySQL' successfully unpacked and MD5 sums checked
ERROR: configuration failed for package 'RMySQL'
* removing 'P:/PersoServer/Programs/R/R-2.15.0/library/RMySQL'

The downloaded source packages are in
        �C:\Documents and Settings\julien.cuisinier\Local Settings\Temp\RtmpszNeip\downloaded_packages�
Warning messages:
1: running command 'P:/PersoServer/Programs/R/R-2.15.0/bin/i386/R CMD INSTALL -l "P:/PersoServer/Programs/R/R-2.15.0/library"   C:\DOCUME~1\JULIEN~1.CUI\LOCALS~1\Temp\RtmpszNeip/downloaded_packages/RMySQL_0.9-3.tar.gz' had status 1
2: In install.packages("RMySQL", type = "source") :
  installation of package �RMySQL� had non-zero exit status

(2) I can't use tips like this one:
http://blog.tersmitten.nl/archives/1345

simply because I can't install RTools.exe as I do not have admin rights
NB: I already changed the env. variable MYSQL_HOME but without success:
> Sys.getenv("MYSQL_HOME")
[1] "P:/PersoServer/Programs/XAMPP/mysql"

(2) So I thought to try & connect directly using DBI package, but I am having an error msge I do not understand (My apologies if this is basic, not expert at all on DB management)
> library(DBI)
> drv <- dbDriver("MYSQL")
Error in do.call(as.character(drvName), list(...)) :
  could not find function "MYSQL"

googling, I found the following but I do not get the answer from Prof Brian Ripley:
http://r.789695.n4.nabble.com/connecting-to-DB2-database-td827626.html

I am guessing the "driver package" he refers to is RMySQL which I could not install in the first place... I tried to fiddle with the R files you have access once you extract the tar.gz source package under RMySQL\R, but no luck
> source("zzz.R")
> source("S4R.R")
> source("dbObjectId.R")
> source("MySQLSupport.R")
> source("MySQL.R")
> drv <- dbDriver("MYSQL")
Error in do.call(as.character(drvName), list(...)) :
  could not find function "MYSQL"

weird thing is that in the "MySQL.R" file from the source package downloaded there is a "MYSQL" function declared - I am guessing the error is somewhere else but R is not very helpful here (my own limitation of course...)

Any idea of where to go from here would be hugely appreciated!! Sorry for the long email.

Thanks & regards,
Julien

> sessionInfo()
R version 2.15.0 (2012-03-30)
Platform: i386-pc-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252  LC_CTYPE=English_United Kingdom.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United Kingdom.1252 LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United Kingdom.1252

attached base packages:

other attached packages:
[1] DBI_0.2-5