[R-sig-DB] Database R Package

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Mon Jun 18 10:15:31 CEST 2012

On 17/06/2012 10:59, Jim Jones wrote:
> Gentlemen,
>
> Last winter at university in the R Programming course I developed an R
> Package (so far called rdba) for dealing with some DBA tasks from R
> scripts. The package basically avoids the need of the user to have
> knowledge of database (PostgreSQL + PostGIS) scripts to manage their
> databases. It aims to facilitate the scripts development when "on the fly"
> you need to handle databases and tablespaces in a physical level.
>
> The package contains the following functions:
>
> Create Database (With or without a template)
> Drop Databse
> List Database
> Database Exists
>
> Create Tablespace
> Drop Tablespace
> List Tablespace
> Rename Tablespace
> Tablespace Exists
> Change Owner Tablespace
>
> ListUsers
> UserExists
>
> I would like to hear your opinion about submitting it to CRAN, since I'm
> new in the list and you are the experts. Initially I just wrote the
> functions for PostgreSQL, but it is already in my plans to extend it to
> Oracle and SQL Server. What do you think?

I think you are re-inventing the wheel.  Please see the R posting guide
(it asks for no HTML, for example), especially about doing your homework
before posting.

Both RODBC and DBI provide R-level interfaces to this kind of thing the
latter with a few backends including RPostgreSQL and ROracle (but not
SQL Server).  'Owner' is not really a portable concept: see the RODBC
manual for how it and similar things are implemented in a range of DBMSs

CRAN does not make value judgements about usefulness of packages, so
duplication is no bar there.