[R-sig-DB] How to set up RODBC? Diff between R Console and RStudio?

Michael comtech@u@@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun May 27 05:27:40 CEST 2012

Hi all,

It's very strange. In RStudio, I can successfully load("RODBC"). But in the
plain R Console, I just couldn't get it work:

(For some special and important reasons, I have to make the RODBC work in R
Console, not the RStudio.)

At first, the some shared library "libodbc.so" couldn't be found... it's
right there, but R Console just couldn't find it.

I then find that the

Sys.getenv("LD_LIBRARY_PATH") is different for R Console vs. RStudio.

Weirdly, the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in RStudio even doesn't have any "ODBC"
terms/words in its long string...

I guess RStudio has some special configuration for RODBC, so it doesn't
require LD_LIBRARY_PATH to be set up for ODBC at all.

I then added the ODBC library path into the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in R Console.

I found that this problem is solved...

But then the R Console complained that the "ODBCINI" was set up correctly.

So I compared the "ODBCINI" in RStudio vs. "ODBCINI" in R Console, found
the R Console one seems to be missing.

I then copied the "ODBCINI" from RStudio and pasted it into R Console.

Now the load("RODBC") can run in the plain R Console, but then the whole R
console crashed without giving any errors/warnings...

It exited back to the shell prompt...

What can I do? Anybody please shed some lights on me on this?

Thanks a lot!