[R-sig-DB] RpostgreSQL install on Windows

Tue Nov 29 15:26:43 CET 2011

On 12 November 2011 at 11:59, Tomoaki NISHIYAMA wrote:
| Hi,
|
| I wrote an instruction to install on windows in rpostgresql wiki.
| For 32 bit version:
| http://code.google.com/p/rpostgresql/wiki/WindowsInstall32
| and for 64 bit version:
| http://code.google.com/p/rpostgresql/wiki/WindowsInstall64
|
| Note that this was written with very few experience and may contain errors.
| So, please let me know if you find something incorrect, not working, or
| missing.

A follow-up is in order here as Tomoaki not only provided this writeup, but
then proceeded to re-engineer the build on Windows, making the write-up
somewhat data: By shipping an embedded copy of the source of the PostgreSQL
connection code (which we can ship as it is of course Open Source), the
RPostgreSQL package is now no longer dependent on a PostgreSQL installation
in order to be built.

Hence, Windows binaries are back on CRAN, and Windows users of RPostgreSQL
can install a pre-compiled package just as they can for RMySQL or RODBC.

That is very good news which I detailed, along with more praise for Tomoaki,
in a short blog post a couple of days ago:

  http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com/blog/2011/11/21/#rpostgresql_0.2-0_0.2-1

RPostgreSQL is in very fine shape thanks to all his contributions. So three
cheers for Tomoaki!

Dirk

dark to read." -- Groucho Marx