[R-sig-DB] dbWriteTable on virtual linux box

Lee Hachadoorian Lee@H@ch@door|@n+L @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Feb 28 17:14:35 CET 2011

Apologies if this is beyond the purview of the list, but I'm mixing
technologies and it's not clear to me how to troubleshoot this.

I would like to use RPostgreSQL to facilitate data import from text files.
Basic operation is:

library(RPostgreSQL)
conn = dbConnect(dbDriver("PostgreSQL"), dbname="****",
user="****", password="****",
host="****",port=5432)

df1 = data.frame(1) #This would really be read.csv()
dbWriteTable(conn, "<schema_name>.<table_anme", df1, row.names = FALSE)

I have run this successfully on a "real" Ubuntu Linux installation,
writing data to this particular Postgres server. However, at a different
location, I only have access to a Windows computer, so I am running R on
Ubuntu on VirtualBox. On this setup, when I try the above code, I get:

Error in postgresqlExecStatement(conn, statement, ...) :
  RS-DBI driver: (could not Retrieve the result : ERROR:  could not open
  file "/tmp/rsdbi********" for reading: No such file or directory
)
[1] FALSE
Warning message:
In postgresqlWriteTable(conn, name, value, ...) :
  could not load data into table

where the asterisks are a random apparently hexadecimal number.

Ideas about what is happening or how to trouble shoot this will be greatly
appreciated. Sys.info() below the sig.

Regards,
Lee Hachadoorian
PhD Student, Geography
Program in Earth & Environmental Sciences
CUNY Graduate Center

Sys.info()

                                      sysname
                                      "Linux"
                                      release
                          "2.6.32-28-generic"
                                      version
"#55-Ubuntu SMP Mon Jan 10 23:42:43 UTC 2011"
                                     nodename
                                  "ubuntu-vm"
                                      machine
                                     "x86_64"