[R-sig-DB] dbWriteTable permission problem on Mac OSX

McGehee, Robert Robert@McGehee @end|ng |rom geodec@p|t@|@com
Tue Nov 3 22:35:09 CET 2009

R-Sig-DB,
I'm getting a 'Permission denied' error when trying to use the
'dbWriteTable' function (RPostgreSQL\DBI package) to access PostgreSQL
on my Mac OSX. I saw that this error appears to have been documented in
the README file as affecting versions of Linux running SELinux. However,
since my OSX Server is not running SELinux, I wanted to see if anyone
else has had success using 'dbWriteTable' on a Mac with RPostgreSQL.

I can update a database using INSERT commands, but am looking for a
faster solution. Also RODBC crashes my R session when executing the
'sqlTables' function--presumably due to an ODBC driver problem--so
switching packages won't easily help.

Thanks, Robert

---------------------
> dbWriteTable(pcon, "test", data)
Error in postgresqlExecStatement(conn, statement, ...) :
  RS-DBI driver: (could not Retrieve the result : ERROR:  could not open
file "/tmp/RtmprNh2yy/rsdbi60b7acd9" for reading: Permission denied
)
Warning in postgresqlWriteTable(conn, name, value, ...) :
  could not load data into table
[1] FALSE

> R.version
               _