[R-sig-DB] [R] RMySQL Keeps crashing

Prof Brian Ripley r|p|ey @end|ng |rom @t@t@@ox@@c@uk
Thu Dec 11 14:53:02 CET 2008

On Thu, 11 Dec 2008, Jeffrey Horner wrote:

> Peter Benjamin Volk wrote:
>> Hi Jeff,

>>> Can you send the output of sessionInfo() and also a small example that
>>> reproduces the crash? It would be nice to know which OS you are
>>> working on.
>> R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)
>> i386-pc-mingw32
>>
>> locale:
>> LC_COLLATE=German_Germany.1252;LC_CTYPE=German_Germany.1252;LC_MONETARY=German_Germany.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=German_Germany.1252
>>
>> attached base packages:
>> other attached packages:
>> [1] MASS_7.2-44     RMySQL_0.7-2    DBI_0.2-4       lattice_0.17-17

>> [1] grid_2.8.0
>>

>> I'm Working on Windows XP with SP3. The MySQL Server resides on an
>> Ubuntu Server. The failure also happens when I have the server on the
>> same system as R.
>>

> Okay, what's the output of the following R command readRegistry:
>
> readRegistry("SOFTWARE\\MySQL AB", hive="HLM", maxdepth=2)
>
> I have a suspicion it's a version mismatch between the version of MySQL
> client library with which the package was compiled and the version installed
> and loaded by RMySQL on your machine. Your output will give us the latter
> version, unless you have more than one installed.

More to the point, certain MySQL Windows releases have client DLLs that
are known to crash RMySQL.  (It would be perverse if the API had changed
at patch levels within the same MySQL version, 5.0, although it has
changed between versions.)  As far as I recall, the deficient patch
releases are within the range 5.0.21 to 5.0.44: I am pretty sure that
5.0.45 and later (including 5.0.67) are unaffected.

Uwe Ligges and I built and tested RMySQL against 5.0.67, so the
recommendation is to update your Windows client to that version.