[R-sig-DB] [R] RMySQL Keeps crashing

Jeffrey Horner je||@horner @end|ng |rom v@nderb||t@edu
Thu Dec 11 14:43:41 CET 2008

Peter Benjamin Volk wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I am working on MySQL 5.0 with RMySQL 0.7-2. All commands except for
>>> Select
>>> statements work. I can create tables, Truncate then etc. When I issue a
>>> Select statement with dbSendQuery containing more than one column in the
>>> selection then R crashes. I have been looking around but could not
>>> find any
>>> solution to this. Does anyone knows whats wrong?
>> Can you send the output of sessionInfo() and also a small example that
>> reproduces the crash? It would be nice to know which OS you are
>> working on.
> R version 2.8.0 (2008-10-20)
> i386-pc-mingw32
>
> locale:
> LC_COLLATE=German_Germany.1252;LC_CTYPE=German_Germany.1252;LC_MONETARY=German_Germany.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=German_Germany.1252
>
> attached base packages:
>
> other attached packages:
> [1] MASS_7.2-44     RMySQL_0.7-2    DBI_0.2-4       lattice_0.17-17

> [1] grid_2.8.0
>

> I'm Working on Windows XP with SP3. The MySQL Server resides on an
> Ubuntu Server. The failure also happens when I have the server on the
> same system as R.

Okay, what's the output of the following R command readRegistry:

readRegistry("SOFTWARE\\MySQL AB", hive="HLM", maxdepth=2)

I have a suspicion it's a version mismatch between the version of MySQL
client library with which the package was compiled and the version
installed and loaded by RMySQL on your machine. Your output will give us
the latter version, unless you have more than one installed.

Jeff
--
http://biostat.mc.vanderbilt.edu/JeffreyHorner