[R-sig-DB] PostgreSQL problem (& solution)

th@ts@@iceh@tyouh@ve m@iii@g oii m@c@com th@ts@@iceh@tyouh@ve m@iii@g oii m@c@com
Tue Sep 13 21:13:50 CEST 2005

Hello,

I'm having a problem installing RdbiPgSQL on my Linux server. I read
the recent thread on the issue, but I haven't been able to sort it out.

I've installed exactly this configuration about four months ago with
no issue at all - Rdbi 1.2.0 and RdbiPgSQL 1.2.0. I'm reinstalling as
we've moved to a new server. I also have the exact same configuration
on my Mac OS X box. For some reason now I am getting this error:

------

 > library(RdbiPgSQL)
Error in dyn.load(x, as.logical(local), as.logical(now)) :
         unable to load shared library '/usr/local/R/lib/R/library/
RdbiPgSQL/libs/RdbiPgSQL.so':
   libpq.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Error in library(RdbiPgSQL) : .First.lib failed for 'RdbiPgSQL'

------

.... and after a day or so, I've solved the problem. I thought I'd
finished this email with the solution in the hope that it might help
someone else. The environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH needed to be
defined:

Sys.putenv("LD_LIBRARY_PATH"="/usr/local/pgsql/lib")

This can also be defined from the shell rather than in R.

Cheers,

Demitri