[R-sig-DB] Reading data from an Oracle database into R from a Windows operating system.

Stephen Arthur @@rthur67 @end|ng |rom y@hoo@com
Wed Dec 25 20:00:26 CET 2002

Hi Rs,

Has anyone on this list successfully used package
RODBC to connect to an Oracle database using Windows
operating system?

I am using Oracle 8.0.6 database (later Oracle 9i)
with Windows NT operating system.

I still need to read the manuals etc., but I was
hoping to get feedback regarding whether there were
limitations on the length of an R variable name to 8
characters which I encountered when trying to read SAS
data into R.

Are there any other tips with regard to connecting to
an Oracle database that you could supply me with
before I get serious in trying to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen