[R-sig-DB] Re: Rdbi package [forwarded msg]

David James dj @end|ng |rom re@e@rch@be||-|@b@@com
Tue Oct 2 14:11:49 CEST 2001

Timothy H. Keitt wrote:
> David James wrote:
>
> > Timothy H. Keitt wrote:
> >
> >>I haven't had time to fix up the data conversion stuff. I have some old
> >>routines from RPgSQL in Rdbi.PgSQL. The choice is to leave the
> >>conversion behavior undefined and let each specific implementation
> >>handle conversion however they see fit, or to define a set of generic
> >>functions to be subclassed. The latter is preferable, but probably
> >>difficult to get right given the heterogeneity among potential data
> >>sources. (Or more accurately, I mean that its difficult to do cleanly;
> >>if you cover all the marginal cases, it will get unwieldy.)
> >>

> > No need to do this, for the time being.  If I'm not mistaken, we're
> > taking the Rdbi package to be a starting point for a common interface,
> > so by necessity it will have to evolve as we gain experience with it
> > and its various driver implementations.
>

> Agreed.
>

> > I still think that we need a document (in English, that is) to describe
> > the interface, its classes and generic functions, perhaps the various data
> > conversion mechanisms, ways to query the metadata, and so forth
> > e.g., what to do with SQL keywords in R/S objects that we export to DBMS.
> > Also, it is in this kind of document were we could identify core and optional
> > features.  (Both the python and perl interfaces have such a
> > specification document.)
>

> Agreed, also, but its not likely I will be able to do this anytime soon.

No problem, I'll come up with a first draft by the end of this week.

> T.
>

> >>Tim

> >>I'm not running Splus, so I haven't tried to make it compatible. It
> >>would seem to be a good thing to do, although I admit, I've been pretty
> >>unhappy with Mathsoft in the past because of their callous attitude
> >>towards UNIX, which (as far as I know) is the environment where S
> >>originated.
> >>

> > I understand, and I wouldn't expect people to be doing both R and
> > S implementations.  All I'm suggesting is to see if we could follow
> > some simple guidelines to make it easier for other people to port
> > from one system to the other.  My guess is that it'll be users and/or
> > some of us --not Insightful-- doing the porting.

David A. James
Statistics Research, Room 2C-253            Phone:  (908) 582-3082
Bell Labs, Lucent Technologies              Fax:    (908) 582-3340
Murray Hill, NJ 09794-0636