[R-sig-DB] Re: Rdbi package [forwarded msg]

Timothy H. Keitt T|mothy@Ke|tt @end|ng |rom @tonybrook@edu
Mon Oct 1 23:05:48 CEST 2001

I haven't had time to fix up the data conversion stuff. I have some old
routines from RPgSQL in Rdbi.PgSQL. The choice is to leave the
conversion behavior undefined and let each specific implementation
handle conversion however they see fit, or to define a set of generic
functions to be subclassed. The latter is preferable, but probably
difficult to get right given the heterogeneity among potential data
sources. (Or more accurately, I mean that its difficult to do cleanly;
if you cover all the marginal cases, it will get unwieldy.)

Tim

David James wrote:

>>>Sounds good to me. At some point in the near future I may get a chance
>>>to test it on a Windows box with MS Access; I've been using RODBC for
>>>that.
>>>
>>Ok.  Will wait till tomorrow morning to allow for further reactions.
>>

> Not that I anticipate any major issues, but could we wait until the end
> of this week?  I'd like to check a couple of things (one that Torsten
> brought to my attention last week and has to do with data conversions,
> and portability to Splus being the other).

I'm not running Splus, so I haven't tried to make it compatible. It
would seem to be a good thing to do, although I admit, I've been pretty
unhappy with Mathsoft in the past because of their callous attitude
towards UNIX, which (as far as I know) is the environment where S
originated.

--
Timothy H. Keitt
Department of Ecology and Evolution