[R-sig-DB] Rdbi package [forwarded msg]

Wed Sep 5 09:29:14 CEST 2001

This definitely belongs to the SIG (special interest group) mailing list,
as well {to which probably all in "CC" are subscribed,
	 but then I want to be sure ..}
BTW, as a reminder : http://www.stat.math.ethz.ch/mailman/listinfo/r-sig-db

Martin

------- start of forwarded message -------
 From: Kurt Hornik <Kurt.Hornik using ci.tuwien.ac.at>
 To: R-core using r-project.org, "Timothy H. Keitt" <Timothy.Keitt using stonybrook.edu>,
	 David James <dj using research.bell-labs.com>,
	 Saikat DebRoy <saikat using stat.wisc.edu>,
	 Torsten Hothorn <Torsten.Hothorn using rzmail.uni-erlangen.de>
 Subject: Rdbi package
 Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 22:54:53 +0200

Tim Keitt has created a new package called `Rdbi', which implements
`a generic framework for database access in R', plus another packaeg
called `Rdbi.PgSQL' which implements a PostgreSQL driver using the
generic tools, and is a complete rewrite of the former RPgSQL package.

As far as I understand it, Rdbi uses ideas from the RS-DBI draft, but
does not provide an implementation of it.  My understanding/hope based
on discussions in Vienna was that we would have a working group (SIG)
which would improve the standard, and maybe also provide code that works
under all implementations of the S language.  Tim only uses R, and it is
not clear whether his code works under Splus (hence also `Rdbi' versus
`RSdbi').

As the new package might very well constitute a de-facto standard, I
have put the packages into the CRAN contrib/Devel section for the time
being, so that in particular the maintainers of the other DBMS access
packages can have a look, and maybe can give some comments.

Waiting for feedback and instructions on how to proceed further ...

-k
------- end of forwarded message -------