[R-pkgs] icd: Comorbidities from ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes, manipulation and validation

Jack Wasey j@ck @ending from j@ckw@@ey@com
Fri Jun 8 02:03:40 CEST 2018

Dear R users,

After about five years of development and generous contributions, 'icd' has now reached version 3.2 and is better than ever.

'icd' can calculate comorbidities, Charlson and other scores, and perform fast and accurate manipulation and analysis ICD-9 and ICD-10 codes. 'icd' enables a work flow from raw lists of ICD codes in hospital databases to comorbidities. ICD-9 and ICD-10 comorbidity mappings from Quan (Deyo and Elixhauser versions), Elixhauser and AHRQ are included. Pediatric Complex Chronic Conditions (PCCC) were recently added, along with ICD procedure codes. Common ICD code ambiguities and different code formats are handled carefully.

The new core comorbidity calculations could be used for any similar categorization task, and are done with optimized matrix algebra using Rcpp and Eigen to full effect across CPU cores.

Recent contributions include:
 - AHRQ clinical condition software (CCS) classification for ICD-9 and ICD-10, thanks to Vitaly Druker
 - CMS Hierarchical Condition Codes, thanks to Anobel Odisho
 - explaining codes into table format, thanks to Ed Lee

More information, documentation, several vignettes at:
https://jackwasey.github.io/icd/

I love to hear from users via email, or GitHub issues. In particular, I was happy to hear 'icd' was recently used for some great journalism ( http://www.pulitzer.org/finalists/staff-propublica ). Please do let me know how you are using 'icd' in your hospital, university or elsewhere, and how we can improve it.

Jack Wasey