[R-pkg-devel] cpp11 and "non-API calls to R"

Mark Padgham m@rk@p@dgh@m @end|ng |rom em@||@com
Mon Jul 8 16:24:50 CEST 2024

Dear R-pkg-dev folk,

The cpp11 package, which was developed yet is no longer maintained by
Jim Hester, now triggers warnings on some CRAN pre-submit checks for
"non-API calls to R" via "SETLENGTH", "SET_TRUELENGTH", and others. The
relevant issue is https://github.com/r-lib/cpp11/issues/355, with a pull
request to resolve at https://github.com/r-lib/cpp11/pull/358. Problem
is the package is now largely inactive, with the PR hanging there for a
month or so unattended. I presume this warning means I can not resubmit
any package depending on cpp11 until this is resolved. But then there
are currently 75 packages potentially affected by this which would then
also be unable to be resubmitted. (Follow the links from the main GitHub
issue for a glimpse of the scale of this problem.)

Any suggestions? In particular, it would be helpful, in this arguably
unusual and quite prominent case, to hear any views from CRAN folk as to
whether everybody dependent on cpp11 will have to wait for resolution
before they'll be able to resubmit? Alternatively, any indication from
anybody in a position to opine on cpp11 status and future maintenance
plans would be great!

Thanks,

Mark