[R-pkg-devel] Overcoming CRAN's 5mb vendoring requirement

Neal Richardson ne@|@p@r|ch@rd@on @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed May 8 17:13:31 CEST 2024

CRAN policy [1] says: "If the sources are too large, it is acceptable
to download them as part of installation, but do ensure that the
download is of a fixed version rather than the latest." So you could
try downloading the source in your configure script. Though be careful
not to be bitten by this other line from the policy: "Packages which
use Internet resources should fail gracefully with an informative
message if the resource is not available or has changed (and not give
a check warning nor error)."

Neal

[1]: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/policies.html