[R-pkg-devel] [External] May .External2() be used in packages?

iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu iuke-tier@ey m@iii@g oii uiow@@edu
Wed May 1 20:35:48 CEST 2024

.External2() is not in the API and is not intended to be used in
packages.  Packages that for whatever reason have chosen to use it
could instead use .External(), and that is what yo should use. I don't
expect that to be enforced by the check code soon, but it might be.

[.External2() exists for historical reason to ease moving things that
used to be primitives in base out into packages where they fit more
naturally. It could be removed now, but I don't think that is high on
anyone's priority list.]

Best,

luke

--