[R-pkg-devel] Inquiry Regarding Package Organization in CRAN

Jeroen Ooms jeroenoom@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Jan 20 23:51:28 CET 2024

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 8:41 PM Protsak Andriy via R-package-devel
<r-package-devel using r-project.org> wrote:

> Hi all!
>

> My name is Andriy, and I’m a student at University of Alcalá, currently working on my final year project.
>

> I’m tasked with organizing the R packages developed by our university that are currently available on CRAN. The goal is to enhance their discoverability, to achieve this the initial focus is on exploring the possibility of renaming the packages so that they share a common prefix, making it easier for uses to locate them in the package list.
>
> If you believe there are alternative strategies to achieve a similar result, please feel free to share your perspective.

You could also set up a cranlike package repository on r-universe,
where you include all the packages from your university (both those
from CRAN and others). This will provide a nice overview of all the
packages in your institute and makes them discoverable via web UI and
r-universe search engine.

Many other organisations are represented here as well, some examples:

 - https://ropensci.r-universe.dev
 - https://lcbc-uio.r-universe.dev
 - https://vimc.r-universe.dev
 - https://kwb-r.r-universe.dev