[R-pkg-devel] How to create a macos-arm64 virtual machine/cloud environment to debug R package?

Vincent van Hees v|ncentv@nhee@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Dec 6 10:28:42 CET 2023

Hello,

What is the recommended way to create a virtual machine or cloud based R
environment for debugging R package issues specific to OS macos-arm64?

Details:
CRAN results show macos-arm64 specific problems for my package:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_results_GGIR.html. I am able to
reproduce them with https://mac.r-project.org/macbuilder/submit.html. I
suspect something goes wrong with the timestamp creation or handling as
that has caused issues with this OS for me in the past. All this relates to
this
<https://github.com/wadpac/GGIR/blob/master/tests/testthat/test_part5_analyseRest.R>
test for this
<https://github.com/wadpac/GGIR/blob/master/R/g.part5.analyseRest.R>
function, that in the process calls this
<https://github.com/wadpac/GGIR/blob/master/R/POSIXtime2iso8601.R> short
function. I have been trying some edits locally and re-submitting them to
macbuilder a couple of times to no avail. To debug this efficiently it
would be good to have access to an R environment for this OS. I do not have
a physical macos myself.

Vincent