[R-pkg-devel] Update timing of machines on CRAN?

Uwe Ligges ||gge@ @end|ng |rom @t@t|@t|k@tu-dortmund@de
Fri Dec 1 15:43:22 CET 2023

On 01.12.2023 13:28, SHIMA Tatsuya wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I maintain the prqlr package that uses rustc for compiling, so I
> regularly check the version of Rust on CRAN.
> And I have noticed that the Rust version of Fedora has been stagnant for
> the past few months and was wondering why, but upon investigation I
> realized that this is because Fedora on CRAN is currently Fedora 36 (out
> of support in May).
> <https://cran.r-project.org/web/checks/check_flavors.html>
>
> It was quite a surprise to me that out of support Fedora is being used,
> but what is the normal cycle for machines on CRAN to be updated? And do
> we have any way of knowing that schedule?

It depends on the maintainer who cares about these machine, the
institution where it is hosted, the availability of technical staff, and
the technical pressure.

I could not even say when the machines I maintain will be updated.
On one version of the retired winbuilder severs we kept the same OS
version for almost 10 years.

Best,
Uwe Ligges