[R-pkg-devel] Troubleshooting Winbuilder Run Timeouts

Thu Nov 30 13:40:32 CET 2023

Hi Andrew Robbins,

В Mon, 27 Nov 2023 12:22:44 -0500
Andrew Robbins via R-package-devel <r-package-devel using r-project.org>
пишет:

> I'm currently attempting to submit a package to CRAN and am getting
> timeouts during the "running examples" phase of the winbuilder tests
> that I cannot reproduce locally or on the r-hub windows runner

Do I understand it correctly that in multiple win-builder tests, you
always get a timeout in the same inmf example? Or is it different
examples?

There doesn't seem to be a lot of code between Rcpp::Rcerr << "INMF
started, niter=" << niter << std::endl; and Progress p(niter, verbose);
to crash or hang in. I've tried to reproduce the problem myself, but it
doesn't happen to me either.

So far I only noticed minor things, like the build-time dependency on
pkgbuild (from tools/WindowsOverrides/hdf5/hdf5-config.cmake) that may
be worth declaring in your DESCRIPTION. I also think that your patch to
hwloc can be reduced by adding a -DNDEBUG somewhere instead of patching
out calls to assert(). I think that the C standard (e.g. C99, WG14 draft
version N1256, 7.4) requires assert() to expand to ((void)0) if NDEBUG
is defined.

The amount of systems engineering effort to do the right thing that
went into this package is really impressive; I'd hate to see it fail.

--
Best regards,
Ivan