[R-pkg-devel] Cryptic error on Windows but not Debian

Simon Urbanek @|mon@urb@nek @end|ng |rom R-project@org
Sat Nov 18 22:52:17 CET 2023

Adam,

> On Nov 19, 2023, at 9:39 AM, Adam <asebsadowski using gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear Ivan,
>
> Thank you for explaining in such depth. I had not submitted to CRAN before.
> I will look into tools::R_user_dir().
>
> - May you point me toward the policy that the package should not edit .Renviron?

It is the policy you have agreed to when submitting your package to CRAN:

"CRAN Repository Policy
[...]
The code and examples provided in a package should never do anything which might be regarded as malicious or anti-social. The following are illustrative examples from past experience.
[...]
 - Packages should not write in the user’s home filespace (including clipboards), nor anywhere else on the file system apart from the R session’s temporary directory. [...]
  For R version 4.0 or later (hence a version dependency is required or only conditional use is possible), packages may store user-specific data, configuration and cache files in their respective user directories obtained from tools::R_user_dir(), provided that by default sizes are kept as small as possible and the contents are actively managed (including removing outdated material).
"

Cheers,
Simon